Monday, September 17, 2012

My new baby: Coping with sibling jealousy

It's been a week and a bit since I posted, but here's my excuse:

I had a beautiful and healthy baby boy last week! I was very happy that I made it to 37 weeks because I had been in the hospital in August for risk of preterm labor. My goal was to make it to the minimum week for full term and I did! Hooray! I also avoided a 9-11 birthday. He was born on 9-12.

I have had a broken foot for 3 months now, which made delivery a bit atypical. Doctor Sakamoto delivered Lincoln with me on my side, to lessen the pressure on my broken foot. I won't go into too many details, but I guess I wasn't "relaxing" my legs properly for the delivery in this position and everyone kept telling me to "relax". So, I snapped. "YOU be me and just TRY to relax!!!!" My husband sympathized and did the right thing that husbands should do in labor (or anytime). Just agree with me.

They say that two is company, but three is a crowd. 

Well, that describes my life now, with a 4 year old, 2 year old and now an infant. Life is busy. Life is full of surprises!

SIBLING JEALOUSY
Coping with sibling jealousy is my current step.
I am doing the 5 basic things I did when my first son was born.

1. Talk to them about being a big brother and sister. Compare big and small, big boy vs. baby.

2. Clap when my 2 year old is gentle to the baby and reinforce what a big boy he is

3. Whenever the baby does something cute, like smile, I recognize that my other kids can do that already and easily. I have them show me too and everyone gets recognized.

4. I make extra effort to hold my other kids when I am not feeding or burping the newbie.

5. I give them chances to hold Baby too and make a big deal of what good siblings they are.


What do you do to cope with sibling jealousy? I'd love to hear! Please share.



No comments:

Post a Comment