Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Is there a tooth fairy? Tell me the TRUTH. My 5 year old asks.

My five year old daughter asked this to my husband last night.

"Daddy, is there a tooth fairy?"
She was very deep in thought.

How can you answer this? When is the right age to be honest about these things? My husband answered wisely, "What did Mommy tell you?"

"Mommy said that she is real. I know Santa is real because I saw him. I also know the Easter Bunny is real because I found his eggs. Tell me the TRUTH. Is there really a tooth fairy?"

I don't want to break the parent-child trust, but I want to keep the imagination and magic alive still. She hasn't even lost a tooth yet.

I'm going to have another talk about this tonight, but for now, I'll continue to answer her questions with more questions.

"What do you think?"
"What does the Tooth Fairy do?"
"Why is there a Tooth Fairy?"
"What does she do?"
"Do you want her to be real?"
"Let's draw a picture of her."

I'll kind of skirt the subject for the time-being and focus on imagination building.

I'd love to hear any comments or personal experiences on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment